Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Gut

.

For decades I have been plagued by the Gut. My body shape was inherited from my father. I remember as a child remarking several times to myself how big his Gut was and how it just stopped at his beltline as if all his fat suddenly stopped by a very strong strap of leather.

Well, I was fortunate enough to gain the same body shape. Lovely. I remember a pregnant gal at work who was 8 months along looking at me one day and saying, “You look more pregnant than I do.” A lovely young lady.

Years later another gal, this time a friend of mine, remarked on the Gut, saying, “It seems like it's not really a part of you.” Now there's a truly lovely gal (no irony this time). It's an accurate statement, my arms are very skinny and my legs are nowhere near fat. It's just that this big Gut hangs on the front of me.

Well, now that I've lost 17 pounds and am training for a half marathon, when I see my dwindling Gut in the mirror I say, “I'm gonna get you, sucka!”

In fact, the other night, I was lying on my back in bed and noticed that for the first time my belly was nearly flat with gravity sucking it in. Wow, I can really lick this monumental appendage to my body, I began to think.

Tonight I examined my body's profile in the mirror and saw that instead of bulging in a complete sphere the Gut actually had a flat aspect to it, after the initial bulge. I squinted my eyes at the mirror.

“I'm gonna get you, sucka!”
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wait until you hit the transformation between wanting to lose weight and wanting to run farther/longer. The weight won't matter to you so much but it will seem to melt right off.

Good luck in your half!

Unknown said...

Awesome work Timaaay! I'm right behind you. I don't have a gut myself. In fact, I'm ridiculously thin. However, that is all about to change! I will start running and working out this Friday. Friday is the initial point from which I will begin building my "Married Man" body. My goal is to reach a level of extreme "man-hotness" so high, that the gorgeous barista at my favorite coffee shop (I've been smiling at her since April!) won't be able to help herself! Back in '06, I started jogging every other day for at least a mile, consistently, for about 2 months. Can't remember why I slacked off. Wish me luck as I begin again. Also, any beginners tips and advice would be much appreciated!

Take care man!

- Brandon aka "The Great Brandingo"